“Pink Slime” and ABC News – There They Go Again …

ABC News, already famous for damaging the Food Lion grocery chain 20 years ago (dishonestly, as it turned out), has now turned its sights on a small food manufacturer of a food product with a perfect safety record — because the product is unattractive, or something.  As a result, the company announced today that

  1. Misthiocracy

    Furthermore, it isn’t slime, and it isn’t pink.

    The photo that the media has been publishing (the photo of the bright pink goo), is NOT actually boneless lean textured beef.  It’s actually (allegedly) a photo of Mechanically-Separated Chicken.

    Real boneless lean beef trimmings looks, for all intents and purposes, like ground beef.  The only thing that makes it different from regular lean ground beef is the texture. It is comprised of very fine grain meat particles, but those particles are still 90% lean beef (the other 10% is fat.)

    The whole kerfuffle is largely attributable to, surprise surprise, to a Jamie Oliver clip where he dishonestly demonstrates “how he imagines“ boneless lean textured beef is made.

  2. George Rapp
    Misthiocracy: Furthermore, it isn’t slime, and it isn’t pink.

    The photo that the media has been publishing (the photo of the bright pink goo), is NOT actually boneless lean textured beef.  It’s actually (allegedly) a photo of Mechanically-Separated Chicken.

    Real boneless lean beef trimmings looks, for all intents and purposes, like ground beef.  The only thing that makes it different from regular lean ground beef is the texture. It is comprised of very fine grain meat particles, but those particles are still 90% lean beef (the other 10% is fat.)

    The whole kerfuffle is largely attributable to, surprise surprise, to a Jamie Oliver clip where he dishonestly demonstrates “how he imagines“ boneless lean textured beef is made. · 5 minutes ago

    Edited 0 minutes ago

    Great information, Misthiocracy.  Thanks.

  3. Songwriter

    This has been in the Nashville news, since some of the local school districts have come under fire for using the product in school lunches.

    Needless to say, we did not hear the other side of the story.

  4. No Caesar

    Thanks for the information.  It would seem that the laid off workers might have a tort against ABC.  Normally, I frown on that, but I do feel that news organziations are too careless and too destructive.  I’d like to see them a lot less careless. 

  5. Mendel

    I am of two minds on this issue.

    On the one hand, it dismays me every time a new health paranoia runs amok because the public just found out about some seemingly unseemly practice which has actually been used for years with no problems.  I personally am looking forward to cooking beef burritos tonight.

    However, manufacturers of products with a tendency to be perceived as disgusting or unhealthy need to be more proactive about their manufacturing.  Beef processors knew that lean beef trimmings might scare some consumers away, so their presence was omitted from labels.  Their choice – but if they don’t want to mention it up front, they should be prepared for paranoid backlash if it becomes common knowledge.

    I agree that ABC’s reporting was trashy – but there has been a high demand for trashy journalism in our society for years.  If Cargill and others wanted to control the narrative, they should have been more open.  Instead, they made a business decision, and are paying the predictable price for it.

  6. maureen dirienzo

    Anyone know how sausage and bologna are made?  I do.  This “pink slime” stuff doesn’t sound all that different. 

  7. Guruforhire

    When I make meatloaf with the pasture raised organic beef that I buy it looks an aweful lot like pink slime.

  8. James Of England
    George Rapp

    Misthiocracy: Furthermore, it isn’t slime, and it isn’t pink.

    The photo that the media has been publishing (the photo of the bright pink goo), is NOT actually boneless lean textured beef.  It’s actually (allegedly) a photo of Mechanically-Separated Chicken.

    Real boneless lean beef trimmings looks, for all intents and purposes, like ground beef.  The only thing that makes it different from regular lean ground beef is the texture. It is comprised of very fine grain meat particles, but those particles are still 90% lean beef (the other 10% is fat.)

    The whole kerfuffle is largely attributable to, surprise surprise, to a Jamie Oliver clip where he dishonestly demonstrates “how he imagines“ boneless lean textured beef is made. · 5 minutes ago

    Edited 0 minutes ago

    Great information, Misthiocracy.  Thanks. · 11 hours ago

    Both the post and the comment were brilliant, and I will quote and refer to both frequently, albeit off Ricochet. Thank you. I feel slightly embarrassed never to have heard of Food Lion, which seems like a textbook example of media abuse. My wife has been doing what she can to fight Jamie Oliver’s terrible influence on the UK government for years.

  9. michael kelley

    Wow.  Thank you for reporting this.  Very informative.

  10. Misthiocracy

    I made tacos for dinner last night.  They were super-yummy.

    I used the cheapest ground beef available from the discount, no-frills supermarket.

    Just doing my bit to support manufacturers of boneless lean beef trimmings!

Want to comment on stories like these? Become a member today!

You'll have access to:

  • All Ricochet articles, posts and podcasts.
  • The conversation amongst our members.
  • The opportunity share your Ricochet experiences.

Join Today!

Already a Member? Sign In